On May 12 796, Wido Duke of Lorraine and his brother Warin
offered the village of Mydenbach in Bliesgau as a gift to the Monastery of Hornbach.
Webenheim is not yet cited on this occasion, but just some time later the name
of this village will always be associated to Mimbach. Webenheim and Mimbach
belonged to the Monastery of Hornbach during the Middle Ages
The "Webenheimer Hof" jurisdiction depended on the counts of
Zweibrücken who were the lords who protected the Monastery.
In 1334, the count Walram von Zweibrücken, who needed some money,
pledged his jurisdiction over Mimbach, Webenheim, Freihausen and Scheldeburn
to the von Dagstuhl lords. So between 1334 and 1456 the von Dagstuhl-Flecksenstein
lords was carried on High Justice over these possessions of the Monastery of Hornbach
and collect the associated income. In 1456, having reimbursed their debt, the princes of
Zweibrücken recovered their rights over these villages. The wind of the
Reformation blew over the region. In 1535, Father Kindheuser leaved Webenheim
to the lords of Zweibrücken. Luther's teaching made its way through the
region like a storm. "The religion into practise will be the one of lord
of the territory." The duke of Zweibrücken chose Luther's religion.
Duke Wolfang supported the French Huguenots and fought against the King of France.
He died in France in 1569. In 1588, the Duke of Zweibrücken took sides with
the Zwingli's followers, so that the "Lutherans" of Mimbach and Webenheim had to
Mimbach and Webenheim before the Thirty Years War.
The inhabitants of Mimbach and their family name.
In the year 1547, thirty eight families lived in Webenheim
and twelve families lived in Mimbach. Both villages formed the most important
village community in the region of Zweibrücken. In 1578, it was still likely
the same : thirty one heads of family and seven widowed people lived in their own
house in Webenheim, ten heads of family and four destitutes lived in Mimbach.
The list of the inhabitants that was made in 1609 by Pastor
Acontius gives a right picture of the status of the population of these villages at
this time and this list can be used as a reference.
In 1609, 282 people in fourty six families lived in Webenheim; the village had
fourty eight houses and four of them were unoccupied. In Mimbach there were eighty seven people
in sixteen families. The village was made of eighteen houses and two houses were unoccupied.
Glancing through the list of inhabitants, one can notice that many family
names were now fixed. Less descriptive names can be found when there were many some years
before in the "Landkontraktenprotokollen" of the 1500's. For example, the Dickkopf
family of Webenheim whose name was still present in 1595, or the Schwein surname that could
be found all along the century in Webenheim, with Nickel Schwein and Debald Schwein.
The 'Gens' and 'Ku' surnames disappeared too in Mimbach.
Most of the inhabitants had now their family name fixed. At the beginning
of the pastor's list, there is a Hans Schwarz, inkeeper at Webenheim and farmer. His father
had been mayor. A Hans Schwarz was also known as a mayor in 1558 and as a church steward in
1546, when the mill passed from the possessions of the church to the property of the
The Moschel surname also appears in the pastor's list: Hans Moschel in Webenheim, and
Daniel Moschel in Mimbach. Daniel was an important person. He was a bellringer and likely
a farmer too, he had two farmhands in his house. His old father, Hans Moschel, aged 80 and
blind, lived with him.
The Landgraf family was already renowned. Mathes Landgraf is a jury-man of the justice of
Webenheim-Mimbach. Jacob Landgraf is mayor of the possessions of the von Stein-Buntenbach
lordship. As soon as the 16th century, their name can be found in many sales of land. They
were among the most influent people of the community.
Some other families were also present with their fixed family name. Hackstock,
Kynn = Kuhn (from Kuno, Konrad), Klein and some others. But many people were bearing their
fixed family name for the first time.
[Source: Karl Stucky, Dorfgeschichte vom Mimbach und Webenheim]
Microfilms of the Church of JC of the LDS:
KB (evang.-ref.) BMS 1696-1779: film FHL 475795
KB (evang.-ref.) BMS 1779-1799: film FHL 475796
KB (evang.-ref.) BMS 1784-1838: film FHL 584867
KB (evang.-ref.) BMS 1820-1869: film FHL 584868
KB (evang.-ref.) BS 1840-1912: film FHL 584869
KB (evang.-ref.) BMS 1869-1937): film FHL 584870
KB (cath.) BMS 1657-1961: see Bliescastel
Wahlerhof is a group of farm buildings that is located
to the south of Hengstbach and which belonged to the community of
Hengstbach in 1961 (6 kilometers to the south-west of Zweibrücken).
The history of this farm is rather well known from its origin.
During the Thirty Years War, about 1635-1636,
in the Bickenalb valley, the village of Bickenaschbach was completely
distroyed. It was never rebuilt. On its territory, Bartholomäus Wernigt,
of Zweibrücken, who became von St. Ingbrecht after his ennoblement,
got two farms built: Bickenaschbacherhof and Wahlerhof. In 1722
after a partition due to inheritance, Wahlerhof and all the territories
of the left bank of the Bickenalb went to Anna Johanna Katharina,
a daughter of Wernigt, who was married since 1705 to
Philipp Friedrich von Schorr. After her death in 1758, her daughter
Concordia Johanna von Schorrrenburg inherited Wahlerhof.
The von St. Ingbrecht family, like the von Schorrenburg
family, did not manage their farms by themselves and they rented them
to tenant farmers. The first farmer in Wahlerhof was
Ulrich Neuschwanger who had cleared the valley and built the house of
the farm. On January 29 1707, Hans Peter Weinland, of Mimbach,
was married to Anna Catharina, daughter of Ulrich Neuschwanger
and became then the farmer. About 1748, the farm had two farmers:
Peter Weinland divided it between his two children
Johann Paul Weinland and Barbara Weinland, widow of Nickel Moschel,
who was later married to Georg Gölzer. Each of them had to pay
700 florins to their siblings.
In 1751, the farm was valued as follows:
|| 1022 florins
| 338 Morgen of land:
|| 4058 florins
| 40 Morgen of gardens and meadows:
|| 2965 florins
|| 100 florins
| Heating wood:
|| 60 florins
|| 1000 florins
The rent was:
- cash: 150 florins,
- a fat pig of 100 pounds: 10 florins,
- "Capaun"(?): 2 florins,
- wood to supply to the baron: 15 florins,
The farm as a whole was valued to 7123
The baron had authorized the share of the farm.
But no other share would occur. Johann Paul Weinland's share
was transfered in 1775 to his daughter Barbara and to her husband
Balthasar Ringle, and later it went to their son Balthasar who still
lived in the farm in 1814.
The other part was divided by Barbara Weinland, Moschel wife then
Gölzer wife, in 1774 after the death of both her husbands, between her
two daughter from her first marriage: Angelica Moschel, married to Paul
Grüneisen and Elisabetha Catharina Moschel, married to Nickel Weinland.
In 1785, Paul Grüneisen ran into debt and he sold at this time his share
of a quarter of the farm to his brother-in-law Joseph Schwarz of Bubenhausen
under the condition that he could still keep the use for five years.
On the same year Nickel Weinland also sold his share with the same condition
and to the same buyer. As the reasons for these dealings were not clear a big
quarrel happened several years later and led to a long action at law.
Finally about 1795, both parts of the farm were sold by auction and since then
the farm was never rented anymore.
About the year 1800, Andreas Leyenberger and Joseph Oesch
shared the property of the farm.
[Source: Albert Weis, Ortsippenbuch Mittelbach-Hengstbach]
Josef Rinkenberg, who was married to a daughter of the Amish
elder Andreas Leyenberger , purchased the farm in 1815 after having been
leaseholder there. Through his daughters Elisabeth et Babette Rinkenberg,
the farm came into possession of their husbands, Christian Stalter of Gersbergerhof
and Christian Stalter of Bickenaschbacherhof. Josef Oesch is co-owner as the
husband of Magdalena Nafziger, a granddaughter of Andreas Leyenberger and a
daughter of Peter Nafziger and Barbara Leyenberger. The Oesch family remained
in Wahlerhof for only three generations, but the Statler family has lived there until today.
Later the Oesch purchased the Grünbacherhof near Mimbach and they still own
it today. In this place are preserved the family Bible of Andreas Leyenberger and a copy of the
'Martyrs Mirror' published in 1780 in Pirmasens at the initiative of Hans Nafziger, elder of the Essingen
[Source: Hermann Guth, Amish Mennonites in Germany]
Until 1821, the reformed families of Bickenaschbacherhof and of Wahlerhof,
like these of Biskenaschbach, depended on the parish of Hornbach. The church books of the
reformed parish of Hornbach were burned in 1939. Therefore the reconstitution of the families of
Wahlerhof remains very partial. In fact, deceased people of Wahlerhof were burried according to the
shortest way from their home to Hengstbach or to Mimbach. This is the reason why some burials of
Wahlerhof were recorded in the church books of Mimbach.
For the reconstitution of the families, the church books of the reformed parish of Mimbach
have to be used as the main source since the missing of the Hornbach books. [Source: Bernd Gölzer]